Monday, February 9, 2015

Maulers Target Top Arms In Draft

By Mike Johnson

DRAFT REVIEW

Jake deGrom fell to the Maulers at No. 12 overall
First round (#12): Jake deGrom (SP). I expected the top 3 SPs to picked, so I was planning on selecting Betances. If I could not draft a SP, I would enhance my RP. Happy w/ the pick and improved my SP (Bumgarner/deGrom/A.Wood/Weaver/Latos/Hendrick).

Second round (#25): Andrew Miller (RP). I planned on and wanted this guy! It would have been nice to have Betance/Miller. St. Louis RP is solid and deep.

Second round (#32): Kyle Hendricks (SP). This was my last pick until the 5th rd so I needed it to count! The 25 YR old K.Kendrick is solid and his 88 IP fills in for the shortage of IP that deGrom has (154 IP). Thought about Shoemaker with this pick. Kendrick was solid in the minors. My rotation is set!

Fifth round (#85) Robinson Chirinos (CA) I really hated to see so many prospects fly off the board in the  3rd & 4th rounds while I watched!  I really like 3rd /4th rd picks though I did trade for value: #3 went for Lackey who I sent packing for T.Hunter. My #4 was in the deal for M.Napoli so I cannot complain too much. Chirinos was the strongest CA in a WEAK DRAFT for catching! After dealing Wieters, I picked up a 3 “fill-in” catchers. So I had to look at next year to get some at-bats. The late-blooming Chirinos is supposed start in Texas (I hope). Needed a LH RP here but not much left.

Seventh round(#128) Blaine Hardy (LH RP) Finally got my LH RP! 43 IP is not much but he is solid vs LHB.

Seventh round (#134): Tommy La Stella (2b) This guy was the best prospect on the boards, I felt. A solid minor league stint and will play 2b/3b for the Cubs. Hits LHP well so he will DH.

TEAM PREVIEW

St. Louis strengths:  SP, solid RP, solid Defense  and hits RHP hard. ST. Louis will be in the hunt for a title in 2015.

Weaknesses: Hitting LHP.

Needs: Looking for LH RP and upgrade hitters vs LHP!

No comments:

Post a Comment